Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: At what point do you think of yourself as a Linux "Guru" or "Professional"?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: At what point do you think of yourself as a Linux "Guru" or "Professional"?

Neither, when I can stop searching Google for constant help on using Linux then I can be a professional or Guru. Until then I am a Home user.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here's a thought: it's possible to show professionalism in what you do by doing what you do well, even if you're not an expert.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I've been 'professional' ever since I had to support an SAP implementation on RH 6.5, and professional on Unix for many years prior.

Guru? Not so much. My opinion of my own skills tends to vary depending on who I work with and encounter

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think that if you really know the system inside out, and are able to do things like list pathnames fully off the top of your head and can "solve" any issue with a linux system without actually being in front of one then you may be approaching guru status.

It is safe to say that there are Linux professionals who are not gurus and Linux gurus who are not professionals.

If there are people out there who fit into both camps then they truly deserve some real respect!!

One thing about Linux is , there are often quite a few ways to achieve the same end result , with none of the possible methods being either right or wrong, just different.

It is a tough question to answer, but a good one though!

Beans
    Hidden!

A hobbist is always inventive
    A guru takes to the next level
    A profesional will polish it

Think I must Be a Butler , cleaning up the mess and polishing the bits left over
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Well since I'm not officially supporting Linux in my office, I'm not a professional. And even though I've been using Linux off and on for over 10 years, I'm definitely not a guru.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: At what point do you think of yourself as a Linux "Guru" or "Professional"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    The first time i got it installed wasn't easy with breezy
    It was for me.(Yeah,Linspire got that right!)
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Although I can make my way around when it comes to linux and computers, I consider myself rather an enthusiast amateur

Beans

I don't. The more I learn, the more I find out there is to learn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't either - I'm afraid I'll never get there -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast