Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to miss Gnome2!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I'm going to miss Gnome2!

I really like Gnome 2, but I gotta be honest...I've been using Unity for about a week, and I've really fallen for it. Just tweaked it here and there, and I'm finding it's making me much more efficient. Not saying that the old DE was bad; this is just better

Yeah, there are some hiccups here and there, some mine, some the DE. But those will get ironed out, and I have no doubt that themes and icons and sparkly stuff will be rolling along soon.

I understand sticking with the current DE, though. Gnome 2 is tough to beat for usability and flexibility.

Beans

Think the GNOME2 option in Natty recently got changed to be more like the current set-up. I remember using it when it had the BFB in Classic but apparently it's back to the Apps Places System menu now (but er, I've not checked).

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan J Murray View Post
    Businesses and large institutions are not going to be using gnome 3 or unity - not to mention the huge upheaval (bigger than xp -> 7), neither look like a non-nonsense, professional tool.
    Good point. I would say though, having seen Gnome 3 and Unity, that both DEs have written off businesses and large institutions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Good point. I would say though, having seen Gnome 3 and Unity, that both DEs have written off businesses and large institutions.
    I can't believe how many people can't tell the difference between Gnome 3 and Gnome shell. Gnome 3 is a set of libraries an APIs. You can run gnome Panel and panel applets in Gnome 3 just like you can in gnome 2. Gnome shell, is just an application that is launched at login by default in Gnome 3, but nothing prevents you from changing your login script to launch Gnome Panel instead. Granted, that some software will take a while to implement in the new APis, but it should be nearly as drastic as the change from KDE3 to KDE4.

Personally I plan to wait a cycle or 2 before switching to gnome 3, but when I do, I expect my desktop won't change much from what I have now: 1 gnome panel at the top, with and AWN on the right edge.
    2B||!2B=?
    -William Shakespeare

Beans

I'm feeling quite at home using Gnome Shell, only missing a few panel applets to adjust power scheme and check weather info. It probably has something to do with me using gnome-do to open applications and Compiz to switch windows in Gnome 2. I wish they would have put menu options for "Places" and "System" next to "Windows" and "Applications" in the "Activities" screen though. The three-way split menu in gnome 2 always seemed like an easy way for inexperienced users to find their way around.

I haven't tried the Gnome 3 fallback mode yet, but is it a terrible replacement for the gnome 2 interface? I'm guessing it's still missing some features at the moment, but potentially?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Guys 11.04 is built on gnome 2. Its classic mode is gnome 2. You can upgrade and use the old ways with Ubuntu for now.

Beans

There's always XFCE, LXDE or Openbox that gets my vote.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan J Murray View Post
    Businesses and large institutions are not going to be using gnome 3 or unity - not to mention the huge upheaval (bigger than xp -> 7), neither look like a non-nonsense, professional tool.
    Ironically, only home uses are obsessed with this idea of looking professional. Businesses just care about productivity and will use what they think works. (The need to appear professional to oneself is likely just a rationalization for fearing change.)

Also, you are vastly overstating the cost of migration. (The move is so easy I hardly feel comfortable calling it "migration".) It's an easier transition than moving from Windows XP SP1 to SP2.

Beans

I am using the two panel look on my XFCE. You can easily do that in LXDE and KDE. I guess Gnome is the only DE abandoning the possibility for the two panel look.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    I am using the two panel look on my XFCE. You can easily do that in LXDE and KDE. I guess Gnome is the only DE abandoning the possibility for the two panel look.
    Who cares about two panels, I actually hate dual panels as it eats up screen real estate. One panel is more than enough and for some to much.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast